Workflow Steps can be scheduled to run actions at a specific time, enabling easy automation of Workflow processes. For example, an action can be executed to assign a task to another user, notify a manager, or escalate to another Workflow Step if a task has been in the same Workflow Step for too long.
Enabling Scheduled Workflow Actions
To enable a scheduled action on a Workflow Step:
- Open the Workflow Scheme in the Workflow Scheme manager.
- Edit the Workflow Step by clicking the name of the Step.
- Enable (check) the Enable Schedule checkbox.
- Set the schedule properties for the workflow step.
Workflow Step Properties
The following properties control the behavior of schedule-enabled workflow steps:
|Enable Schedule||Enables or disables a scheduled Action for this Workflow Step.|
|Scheduled Action||The Workflow Action to execute when the scheduled time is exceeded.|
|Scheduled In||Time (in seconds) before the Action will be executed on a given content item, after the content enters this Workflow Step.|
- Only Actions available in the Workflow Step being edited can be selected as scheduled Actions.
- Any Action available in the Workflow Step may be selected, regardless of the properties set on the Action.
- This includes Actions which, due to permissions and display conditions, may not be available to any other users at any other times.
- In fact, you may wish to intentionally create Actions specifically for scheduled operations, which can not be executed directly on any content.
- The schedule timer is based only on how long the content has been in the Workflow Step, not when the last Action was taken on the content.
- So the scheduled Action will still be executed even if other Actions have been taken on the content since it moved into this Workflow Step.
- The scheduled Action will be executed by the system (System User), rather than by a user account.
- This means that the Action will always execute all Sub-Actions, regardless of the permissions on the content.
- The only limitation to Sub-Actions executed by a Scheduled Action are that the content must be in an appropriate publishing state for each Sub-Action executed.
Creating Actions that May Only be Used When Scheduled
You can create an Action which can only be used as a scheduled Action by setting the following properties on the Action:
- Who Can Use: Leave empty (so no one, not even the Administrator can execute the action directly).
- Show When: Leave all options unchecked (so the Action does not display for any users at any time).
For schedule-enabled workflows to function, the following two properties must be set in the dotmarketing-config.properties file.
Note: It is strongly recommended that all changes to the dotmarketing-config.properties file be made through a properties file extension.
## ESCALATION CONFIGURATION ESCALATION_ENABLE=true ESCALATION_CHECK_INTERVAL_CRON=0/30 * * * * ?
- The system will poll Workflows at a frequency defined by the setting of the
- If scheduled Workflows are not being used, you may set the
ESCALATION_ENABLEproperty to false or significantly increase the
ESCALATION_CHECK_INTERVAL_CRONinterval to avoid uneccessary processing.