dotCMS 5.2 Delivers Personalization for Headless and Hybrid Content Delivery
Oct 07, 2019
dotCMS, the leading open-source Java CMS, has released dotCMS 5.2, which enables fully personalized content delivery for all content channels, including API driven headless SPAs. dotCMS 5.2 also sports a simplified starter site, improved image editing with optimized Webp image delivery, form building that works headlessly, automatic workflow triggers, and relevant updates to dotCMS APIs.
This release builds upon the marketer-friendly and NoCode foundations laid out in the pivotal releases of dotCMS 5.0 and dotCMS 5.1. Between them, those two releases brought about features and functionalities such as drag-and-drop workflow and layout editors, as well as Edit Mode Anywhere, all of which advanced dotCMS’s NoCode environment by enabling marketers and business users to directly and codelessly manage content, pages, and campaigns in a headless CMS scenario. By putting the power in the hands of the business users, dotCMS’s NoCode initiatives in the 5.x Series allow businesses to realize a faster time to value and show a clear ROI of their CMS.
Along with a slew of minor tweaks and fixes, dotCMS 5.2 brings the following key capabilities:
dotCMS 5.2 For Marketers
- Personalized Content Delivery via API: dotCMS now lets marketers build rules and personas and deliver personalized experiences to targeted audiences regardless of how they are consuming the content.
- Simplified Starter: dotCMS has a new start site that includes the best practices for using the platform, and there's also the option for an empty starter site for those that are already familiar with dotCMS.
- Better Image Editing: The image editor in dotCMS now shows the size and compression of images. There's also now support for WebP compressed images and the ability to resize or shorten animated GIFs.
- Automatic Workflow Triggers: Marketers can now assign a default action for new content if there's no first step specified. This ensures all form information and content in dotCMS is placed into a workflow when it's initially created.
dotCMS 5.2 For Developers
- Enhanced APIs: dotCMS’s out-of-the-box APIs have been enhanced and updated to allow users to upload temporary files asynchronously, and then use them to set data when saving content via API.
- Enriched API Reporting: In the API calls, clearer validation errors are now returned in the response to improve troubleshooting when building integrations with adjacent applications based on API calls.
- New Starter Site: The new release comes with a revamped starter site based on a different, more generic theme with more best-practices already included to get your project going.
- Native Support for WebP Format: When building Progressive Web Applications (PWAs), we see a growing need for the native support of the WebPi image format which can result in 30-45% smaller image file sizes at similar image quality. dotCMS 5.2 will support WebP out-of-the-box, next to the existing image formats (.png, .jpg).
dotCMS CTO Will Ezell claimed that this latest dotCMS release was, “more proof that dotCMS is determined to continuously deliver marketer-friendly environments and developer-ready technologies that support cutting-edge customer experiences.”
dotCMS is the most agile, scalable and secure content management system for enterprise. Built on leading Java technology, dotCMS is an open-source, hybrid-headless content management system that gives developers the flexibility of a headless CMS while equipping marketers with no-code visual content authoring. Whether you're building a network of global websites, an employee intranet, customer portal, or single page web application, dotCMS helps you manage content, images, and assets in one centralized location and deliver them to any channel.
Founded in 2003, dotCMS is a privately held US company with a global network of certified development partners and an active open source community. dotCMS has generated millions of downloads and more than 100,000 implementations and integration projects worldwide. Notable customers include: Telus, Standard & Poors, Hospital Corporation of America, Royal Bank of Canada, Comcast, Thomson Reuters, Dairy Queen, City Furniture, Varo Bank, Lennox International, Firstmac and Newell Brands.