dotCMS 2.0 Preview Release
Mar 01, 2012
dotCMS is pleased to announce the availability of an initial Preview Release of dotCMS 2.0 (click to download). There are hundreds of improvements in the codebase and in underlying functionality.
Highlights of the 2.0 release include:
New Customizable/Extendable Workflow Engine
- Allows the creation of multiple, muli-level workflow schemes for content and files.
- Workflows can trigger customizable subactions.
- Different content type can have different workflows.
Files as Content
- New file types can be created, fields can be customized on a per filetype basis.
- URL addressable binary files with all the benefits of being content.
- CDN friendly pathing to image manipulation with no query strings.
- Greatly improved Multi-file uploads
- Metadata/content is extracted from files and is indexed and made searchable, including full-text indexing. This allows for document management solutions to be created using the dotCMS platform.
ElasticSearch replaces (wraps) lucene for performance and horizontal scalability
- Index Replication/Auto-sharding
- Index once, available everywhere in clustered installations.
- Allows index infrastructure to scale separately from dotCMS installation based on an implementation’s need.
Pessimistic Content Check-in / Checkout
- Content can be locked for editing - only the editing user or CMS Administrators can release the lock.
Content Editing UI improvements
- Workflows and content locking are integrated into an improved content editing UI.
Key/Value Field Type
- Allows a content type an unlimited number of values that can be determined when the content is being entered – think the specifications page for various electronic products in an ecommerce environment.
Data Model/API Improvements
- Content state has been moved to a separate table
- Identifiers, live and working versions all enforced by referential integrity
2.0 preview release can be experienced here – note that it is automatically rebuilt every 12h:
Currently, dotCMS 2.0 is targeted to be released in late March 2012. We welcome any questions, issues or feedback!
dotCMS is the most agile, scalable and secure content management system for enterprise. Built on leading Java technology, dotCMS is an open-source, hybrid-headless content management system that gives developers the flexibility of a headless CMS while equipping marketers with no-code visual content authoring. Whether you're building a network of global websites, an employee intranet, customer portal, or single page web application, dotCMS helps you manage content, images, and assets in one centralized location and deliver them to any channel.
Founded in 2003, dotCMS is a privately held US company with a global network of certified development partners and an active open source community. dotCMS has generated millions of downloads and more than 100,000 implementations and integration projects worldwide. Notable customers include: Telus, Standard & Poors, Hospital Corporation of America, Royal Bank of Canada, Comcast, Thomson Reuters, Dairy Queen, City Furniture, Varo Bank, Lennox International, Firstmac and Newell Brands.